p. 61 Chapter Three: In which Stencil, a quick change artist, does
Herbert Stencil is inspired into dreaming by the memory of the last
message he received in 1919 from Sidney Stencil which reads: "I feel
old, and yet like a sacrificial virgin. Write and cheer me up. FATHER."
Each "impersonation" observes part of the plot for Under
- P. Aieul, a cafe waiter and amateur libertine [gelder] who
observes Goodfellow discussing the assissination plot.
- Yusef, a factorum [person who performs many different tasks],
serves drinks at the party at the Austrainian Consulate and listens to
- Maxwell Rowley Boyce (alias Ralph Burgess) watches Goodfellow,
Victoria and Mildred Wren, Porpentine, Bongo-Shaftsbury have
dinner and talk at the Fink Restaurant. Lepsius arrives.
- Waldetar the train conductor stamps tickets for Bongo-Shaftsbury
- Gebrail/Gebel drives a cab for an Englishman with a gangenous
- Girgis, the montebank [thief], sees Porpentine fall off the side of a
- Hanne, a barmaid, hears Porpentine talk about the
murderous plot and then Victoria saying she loves Goodfellow.
- The spot where the body falls.
Copyright © 1995-97 San Narciso Community College